Project CF - (R14 '13) Project CF - (R14 '13)

You know you're doing something right when someone else is remixes your tracks...

You did a good job capturing the melodies and movements from the original, but this version lacked some of the punch that paragon's had. Overall, I felt the mix in this was pretty thin (if that makes any sense). Almost as if everything was behind one big filter...although listening on headphones changes that slightly

The piano runs at 1:30 were awesome :) The build up starting at 1:50 was a nice touch too, but the lead came in a bit too strong. Definitely had some nice touches at the end with the improvisations on the bass synth and the way the beat dropped.

The fact that you did all of this by ear is pretty damn impressive. Maybe you could remix one of my songs sometime ;)

Rinileki14 responds:

I figured it wouldn't be anywhere near as epic as Paragon's was. lol. Thanks a ton! :D Sure, I may be able to try remixing one of yours after New Years. For now, I'm finally trying to plan out Christmas pieces : ) Thanks again!!

Acid Trip [Chant] Acid Trip [Chant]

I could see a crowd bouncing up and down to this, especially 1:30 on. It does sound like you sort of gave up on the ending, but you could make this loop pretty nicely if you took out the intro...

I think the pad around the one minute mark could have been brought out a bit more. It's barely audible to start and it adds some great depth for the movement into the latter half. The chants were pretty great for the transitions, too.

Nice work.

Bafana responds:

Thanks, I just fade out at 2:00 because the track isn't finished :D

I'll play with the pad, got sidechain on and off on it and I got sick of messing with it lol.

The chants were in the original, then I took them out cause i thought they were annoying but they're back! Most people seem to like them there.

Thanks for the review :D

Dreams and memories Dreams and memories

Great string work in the beginning, the staccato and legato stuff really worked well together. I'm struggling to figure out what kind of scene in an rpg I'd put this in. Some things are sorta world mappy, others are more town based. Maybe you were going for the main theme music that encompassed everything. You certainly mixed this one up a ton (almost too much, really). I enjoyed the piano parts going solo for the first couple of times, but once the song picked up it ruined the mood a bit.

The ending (4:00 +) got really epic, but then you calmed it down again. I sorta wanted this to end more triumphantly. I would consider tossing some timpani and crash symbols in this.

If your goal was to get me relaxed, you succeeded :)

Stung Stung

Nice vibe you got going on. Reminds me of something you'd hear in some type of racing game - like F Zero. You did a good job of keeping the main theme going the whole time, but mixing it enough to make it interesting. Really cool auxiliary percussion work.

I felt like the plucked synths at the one minute mark could have been turned up a bit. The lead stuff at 1:30 could probably be extended and elaborated on a bit. Nice use of silence :D

Keep it up!

Kassich responds:

thanks for the feedback! I might go back into this track and spice up the melody at the end a bit, and def remaster it! Thanks for listening as well!

Cyberdevil's Back Cyberdevil's Back

"Time flies like a dragon, blazing up trails of fury along azure cloudscapes." - Awesome

Oh, how I miss blamming. I feel like I'm doing a service to Newgrounds' servers when I help eradicate junk.

You somehow made me feel nostalgic and pissed off at the same time...I'm glad you're back :D

Cyberdevil responds:

Haha, thanks, might be the first time someone reviews a description of mine. :)

There are still plenty of submissions out there just waiting to be judged! With the judgment process made quicker it's a bit easier to blam stuff too... than it was last year... the good old days seem so distant though. :/ Great to hear this piece sparked some nostalgia/emotion; glad to be back! :D

Azure Apex Azure Apex

Nice filtered fade in, always clutch move. That saw lead is badass, so funky - it's almost like it's screaming to get the notes out. Is that rain I hear in the background at the two minute mark? Hell, throw in some waves and wind while your at it.

The song might have taken a stylistic detour, but I think you did a good job of keeping the theme intact. You got some serious skills.

OcularNebula responds:

yeah, lol, those filters are super easy to do, but they're sooooo effective, right? like, 500000 effective

glad you liked the lead, that was like a perfect description for it

thanks for the review, man!

Recon Recon

Immediately reminded of Perfect Dark.

Goddamn that bass groove is catchy. The subtle pads and strings really filled this song out and kept the flow going. Ooh that break at 2:45 was very unexpected. I'm glad you mixed it up, but that part did take some of the energy out of the song. I think the lead you introduced at the end could probably be brought out a little more. Didn't sound so hot in the lower registers either.

Nice work on the drum fills. Quality atmosphere overall. Well done.

Dreams Never End+*~_0 Dreams Never End+*~_0

It only seems like yesterday...I was thinking about doing something for my 10th as well - like a mash up of the best songs from each year - but then I forgot.

When are they going to re-make this movie? It's only a matter of time with Hollywood now a days...

This song, right. Ya did a good job of capturing the euphoric "I'm flying in the sky on the back of some giant dog-looking creature" feeling. I'd have to agree with the user below me regarding the drums. The sparsity makes it seem out of place. You might be better served replacing it with something plucked on the down beats. It DOES work well with the transitions, though...so I dunno. Great job on the mix, as per usual. Ear candy, indeed.

It's nice to see you're still active :D

Chronamut responds:

thanks man I try.. and yeah I find they help balance out the song somewhat.

good to see you're still around too - us oldie goldies have to stick together!

thanks for the review!

-shawn-

Gumshoe Gumshoe

Can't help but thinking about Earthbound battles when listening to this...

The bass part is definitely jazzy - walkin along. I really liked your use of silence (around 50 seconds), it can be the loudest sound sometimes. The lead stole the show for me at the 1:17 mark, and it was pretty great how the other synth picked up where it left off (or did you just switch waveforms on me?)

Chiptune jazz, bold move.

Mädchen Amick [Live] Mädchen Amick [Live]

Sounds like a nice crowd :) Nothing beats a live show.

The distortion guitar sorta takes away from the vocals during the verses, but totally adds to them in the chorus. Maybe try it with a cleaner sound during those parts? Start of the second verse sounded a bit empty before the other guitars came in as well. You guys got a nice vibe going on, digging the group vocals. I would have liked to here a more climactic, distorted ending after the scream at 3:23

I'd recommend posting the lyrics in the comments on here too.

polarpoole responds:

Thanks. I play bass so I don't have much control over the guitars but I'll mention it to the guys next time I see them. Thanks for the good review.